The Nurse Manager coordinates, directs, implements and recommends systems, methods and procedures for the delivery of nursing care at Schervier Pavilion. This involves collaboration with nursing and the interdisciplinary team to ensure that standards of practice, departmental philosophy and overall objectives are accomplished. Administrative supervision is exercised over a number of nursing staff within the primary area of responsibility/unit. Responsibility includes operational activities on a twenty-four hour, seven-day a week basis. Supervision and training is provided to a number of professional nurses and support staff. Responsible for ensuring regulatory requirements are met.
* Collaborates with Charge Nurse/Lead Nurse and Nursing Supervisors and provides direct oversight of clinical care provided in assigned area of responsibility/unit. Ensures the planning, maintenance and evaluation of standards of nursing practice for primary area.
* Initiates and participates in the planning, implementation and evaluation of quality assurance and performance improvement activities for primary area.
* Leads interdisciplinary rounds on the unit.
* Reviews and analyzes trends pertinent to the delivery of nursing care services within a primary area/unit and initiates appropriate innovations.
* Evaluates patient care assignments to provide continuity of nursing care.
* Rounds on residents and families to proactively meet the clinical needs and patient satisfaction expectations.
* Advocates for patients and families, acting as liaison with the interdisciplinary team.
* Communicates clinical and resource issues to leadership.
* Monitors expenses and productivity, providing rationale and explanations for any variances.
* Develops and implements plans and schedules for minimizing the use of overtime and meeting the targeted budget, productivity goals.
* Monitors the use of supplies and equipment.
* Orders items as needed for patient care and the function of the unit.
* Holds staff accountable for time and attendance.
* Provides coverage for Nursing Supervision as needed.
* Completes requisitions for replacement of vacancies.
* Observes, evaluates, coaches and mentors staff on the unit.
* Ensures that the initial and annual staff competencies are completed in a timely manner. Maintains accurate records.
* Ensures staff maintain the required credentials for working on the unit (i.e. CPR, license)
* Holds staff accountable and participates in progressive disciplinary action.
* Holds staff accountable for compliance with facility policies and procedures.
* Adheres to the facilities policies.
* Follows Occupational Health procedures for workplace injuries and impairment in the workplace.
* Participates in the planning, implementation and evaluation of staff development activities.
* Maintains a professional level of competence through participation in educational activities.
* Ensures standardization of practice through implementation of current policies and procedures.
* Collaborates with the staff to develop and implement a quality plan for the unit.
* Collects and analyzes data to make improvements for clinical and resident satisfaction outcomes
* Communicates quality outcomes with the unit staff and report out at facility meetings as needed.
* Holds routine staff meetings and huddles focusing on patient care, safety and satisfaction.
* Promotes infection control and safety practices.
* Meets regulatory requirements. (i.e. CMS, NY DOH, OSHA, etc.)
* Investigates and follows up with risk management/incident reports.
* Monitors medication administration to ensure safety and mitigate diversion potential.
* Actively participates in meetings.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum three years of nursing experience in a long-term care facility. Possession of a valid license and current registration, issued by the New York State Education Department, as a Registered Nurse. Current BLS required.
Associate's degree required, Bachelor's degree in Nursing preferred
The individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials.
At Schervier Pavilion, our goal is to help each resident maintain the highest level of daily independence possible. Located on a 27-acre campus that includes Mount Alverno Center, an adult home and assisted living residence and St. Anthony Community Hospital, Schervier Pavilion residents have access to a complete continuum of care.
WMCHealth is a 1,900-bed healthcare system headquartered in Valhalla, New York, with ten hospitals on eight campuses spanning 6,200 square miles of the Hudson Valley. WMCHealth employs more than 12,000 people and has nearly 3,000 attending physicians. From Level 1, Level 2 and Pediatric Trauma Centers, the region’s only acute care children’s hospital, an academic medical center, several community hospitals, dozens of specialized institutes and centers, a state of the art Telemedicine program, skilled nursing, assisted living facilities, homecare services and one of the largest mental health systems in New York State, today WMCHealth is the pre-eminent provider of integrated healthcare in the Hudson Valley.