The Environmental Sustainability Intern will be responsible for supporting the Environmental Sustainability Department and Vail Healthas sustainability initiatives. The Environmental Sustainability Projects Intern will gain specific and unique experience in sustainability operations within a healthcare system by handling waste streams, tracking data, and serving as a member on sustainability committees. The intern will be also be responsible for developing and implementing an individualized project associated with expanding Vail Healthas sustainability programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:A
1. Assists in the handling and logistical support of Vail Healthas waste streams, including recyclable, hazardous, electronic, confidential shred, cleaning/maintaining receptacles and compostable materials
2. Assists to provide education & outreach regarding recycling and composting programs as well as other initiatives to guests and employees
3. Assists to develop and implement a sustainability project aimed at increasing Vail Healthas waste diversion
4. Support the Environmental Sustainability Department with maintaining existing programs and helping to create new sustainability initiatives
5. Collaborates with other departments to build and maintain cohesive working relationships, along with assisting Sustainability Specialist Co-Chairs on the Green Team
6. Aids in data collecting associated with waste diversion and facilities bench marking system
7. Supports the Sustainability Department with any additional tasks as necessary
8. Develops professional skills through networking with local sustainability professionals
9. Role models the principles of a Just Culture and Vail Health Values.
10. Performs other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
aC/ Currently studying Environmental Sustainability or a related field preferred
aC/ Current Valid Driver's license and ability to pass Vail Healthas Department of Motor Vehicle Report criteria.
Computer / Typing:
aC/ Data analysis proficiency in benchmarking systems.
aC/ Proficiency in Microsoft office programs or equivalent. Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computer skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc.
Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
aC/ Working towards a bacheloras degree in environmental sustainability or related field preferred
Vail Health, formerly Vail Valley Medical Center, is a nonprofit community health care system serving patients and guests from around the world. Locally operated and governed by a volunteer board of directors, Vail Health includes a 56-bed hospital, accredited by the Joint Commission. Our 24/7 emergency department in Vail is a Level III Trauma Center with a nearby helipad for necessary medical transports. Vail Health provides a wide array of services and access points including Beaver Creek Medical Center, urgent care clinics in Avon and Gypsum, our Edwards medical campus, Eagle Healthcare Center and a multispecialty clinic in Frisco. Howard Head Sports Medicine offers physical therapy services at 10 locations and works closely with our internationally renowned orthopaedic partners at The Steadman Clinic and Vail-Summit Orthopaedics. In addition, Vail Health's Shaw Cancer Center and Sonnenalp Breast Center are the region’s only fully accredited cancer treatment center and comprehensive breast center. The Vail Clinic, which was founded in 1965, officially became “Vail Valley Medical Center” in 1980, its first year as a full-service hospital. At that time, we had one primary locatio...n and 25 physicians. Today, Vail Health has locations in nine towns, nearly 1,000 employees, 260 physician partners and 85 volunteers. Vail Health is an equal-opportunity employer. The hospital is handicap accessible and adheres to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Smoking is prohibited in our facilities. This includes e-cigarettes.