The Laboratory Curator for Chemistry and Biochemistry is responsible for preparing and supplying chemistry labs for approximately 1800 freshman chemistry students per semester. Preparation includes setting up experiments, preparing all chemical solutions needed, and preparing and maintaining lab equipment. Incumbent also collects, inventories, and disposes of all waste associated with the labs. Incumbent is also responsible for ordering and inventorying necessary chemicals and equipment. In addition, incumbent supervises and trains graduate students as teaching assistants.
1. Prepare the labs for approximately 1800 freshman chemistry students per semester, which includes setting up experiments, preparing all chemical solutions needed, and preparing and maintaining lab equipment. Collect, inventory, and dispose of all chemical waste (hazardous & non-hazardous) associated with the freshman chemistry labs and work with the Dept. of Environmental Health & Safety.
2. Supervise federal work study students and manage check-in and check-out of all laboratories. Supervise and aide in training of graduate students as teaching assistants.
3. Supervise the labs as they occur. This includes some supervision of the teaching assistants (graduate and undergraduate students), maintaining correct levels of prepared chemicals for the experiment and aiding the graduate students in case of equipment malfunction during the lab periods.
4. Use BobCat Buy and Concur to purchase and inventory all of the necessary chemicals and equipment for the freshman labs. Manage the shipping and receiving of said orders. Provide back-up coverage for the department's purchasing office.
5. Serve on the department's safety committee and complete other duties as assigned.
Associate's Degree in Chemistry
At least one year of work related experience
At least one year of supervisory experience
Valid driver's license
Chemical Hygiene Safety Training (OU EHS provided)
Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry and at least one year of supervisory experience.
Planning Unit: College of Arts & Sciences
Department: Chemistry and Biochemistry
Applicants may contact this person if they have questions about this position: Julie Masterson, Employment Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment Type: full-time regular
Pay is commensurate with experience and credentials and is accompanied by our generous university benefits such as tuition for self and dependents, a comprehensive insurance package (including but not limited to health, prescription, vision, dental, and life insurance), an excellent retirement plan including company contributions, parental leave, adoption reimbursement, and more. OHIO is also proud to offer wellness programs, on-site wellness facilities, and a generous employee assistance program. Additional Information is available at: https://www.ohio.edu/hr/benefits/.
Ohio University is home to one of the nation’s friendliest and most picturesque campuses. But more importantly, it’s where you can become part of a two-century tradition of excellence and embark upon a rewarding career that will make a real difference. From teaching and research to admissions, facilities maintenance, and residence life, our faculty and staff propel Ohio University’s mission of helping students become their best selves. OHIO offers competitive compensation and outstanding benefits. For a complete list of employment opportunities, please visit www.ohiouniversityjobs.com.Ohio University is an equal access/equal opportunity affirmative action institution. For more information about Ohio University’s policies prohibiting discrimination and harassment, visit www.ohio.edu/equity.