Oversee a variety of technical tasks related to ESS laboratory operations including the procurement, testing, and maintenance of scientific equipment, and inventorying and purchasing equipment and supplies to facilitate teaching and research objectives. The Technician will be aware of the content of lab and field courses, will be actively involved in organizing equipment, oversee various laboratory and field courses, troubleshoot laboratory activities, and may teach or assist in teaching some labs or entire lab courses such as GIS.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assumes primary responsibility for:
Scientific equipment assembly, calibration, maintenance, purchasing, and repair for student course laboratories and scientific research
Periodically attending, and at times teaching, laboratory courses in the ESS department as determined by the department Chair
Periodically attending and overseeing various field courses as determined by the department Chair
Maintaining marketing / social media responsibilities for the department
Serving in an active leadership role in laboratory setup (particularly when the course involves student assistants and/or multiple instructors)
Supervision of student assistants
Designing and developing new experiments and demonstrations
2. Oversees the ESS laboratories in relation to safety, organization, equipment and supplies, and equipment operation.
3. Assists faculty with tasks related to the effective operation of science facilities including consulting and coordinating with Facilities Services staff in relation to mechanical, electrical, and space requirements/problems; with Campus Network staff in maintaining and enhancing department computing capabilities; and with appropriate personnel in relation to shipping and receiving.
4. Regularly organizes all laboratory spaces within the department.
5. Actively participates in all aspects of the ESS department.
6. Performs related duties as assigned by the ESS department Chair and by the Director of Environmental Health and Safety.
7. Work and assist faculty in establishing labs for newly launched environmental engineering program.
Juniata College is committed to cultivating an equity-minded and equity-engaged campus culture, one that is inclusive and supportive of its students, faculty, and staff. We believe that all members of the College community share the responsibility to engage, sustain, and leverage an interconnected learning environment in which difference is valued, equity is sought, and a sense of belonging is explicit. Juniata's strategic mission promotes diversity in every expression, and amplifies the College's commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and access. We aim to evolve into a more global, equitable and ethical community, where all Juniatians live a life of inclusive belonging needed for becoming leaders who value and embrace human interconnectedness and dignity. Juniata invites and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Knowledge and capabilities, including various aspects of laboratory equipment generally used in environmental fields.
A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Environmental Science or related field.
Capable of working in challenging field conditions and lifting up to 60 pounds.
Knowledge of ArcGIS Pro and/or ArcMap/ArcGIS desktop desirable. Knowledge of Field Based GIS techniques –GPS, Drone Mapping, transit levels also desired but not as important.
Knowledge and skills in using basic PC software for laboratory and research applications.
Should have a thorough understanding and appreciation of conservation issues.
Have a valid driver's license and be able to be certified by Juniata College to drive 15 passenger vans.
Founded in 1876, Juniata College is a cohesive community of interesting, inquisitive, hardworking, and fun individuals who think deeply about who we are meant to be. The College has a strong reputation for excellent academics, personal attention, and state-of-the-art technological resources. Juniata students enjoy small classes, a challenging, flexible curriculum, collaborative student-faculty relationships, countless chances to learn by doing, and a lively campus offering lots to do and great new friends.