The Senior Embedded Computing Laboratory Technician position in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) will have job duties that include:
(1) Working safely with and around computers and embedded systems.
(2) Assembling computers and embedded systems or parts requiring wiring, plugging, or connecting.
(3) Configuring and operating computers, embedded systems, and their accompanying software in the ECE teaching labs.
(4) Testing and troubleshooting computers and embedded systems.
(5) Following specific instructions regarding the repair or service of computers and embedded systems.
(6) Supporting the undergraduate laboratory classes and lab safety by performing tasks that may include:
(i) solving technical problems,
(iii) training and supervising teaching assistants,
(iv) instructing students in designing and troubleshooting microcontrollers, FPGAs, robotic systems, etc.
(v) coordinating new computing hardware and software acquisition and installation,
(vi) ordering supplies, and
(viii) ensuring safe laboratory environments and practices.
(7) Supporting, providing assistance, and, when needed, overseeing students' work in project-driven courses, such as the ECE Capstone Design course. This includes:
(i) providing safety oversight for hardware and software projects,
(ii) advising and mentoring during project work,
(iii) managing data acquisition systems,
(iv) troubleshooting issues.
A minimum of 10 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Vocational training/technical certification in electrical controls or similar areas is preferred.
This Senior Embedded Computing Technician skills desirable in this position include
(1) Knowledge of computers and embedded systems, including microcontrollers and FPGAs.
(2) Knowledge of Linux
(3) Programming experience in C, C++, Python and/or VHDL/Verilog.
(4) Ability to train/instruct/mentor students and teaching assistants.
(5) Ability to work with and coordinate with needed offices including environmental health and safety (EHS), facilities, and risk management.
(6) Proficiency with MS Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneDrive).
(7) Must have flexibility to work occasional evening timeframe or weekend.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.