Location: Portland, Oregon
Ranked the No. 1 Hospital in Oregon by the U.S. News & World Report, we pride ourselves in not only serving our community with the highest of accolades, but pushing a multifaceted mission that strives of excellence within the OHSU Culture. Find out more here: https://www.ohsu.edu/about/ohsu-vision-mission-and-values and https://youtu.be/6C-lws1q5cY
OHSU is hiring! We offer a variety of benefits on top of joining a thriving organization:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage at low or no cost to employees
- Covered 100% for full-time employees and 88% for dependents
- Several retirement plans to choose from! - Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan and University Pension Plan, voluntary savings plans (403b and 457b)
- Up to 200 hours (equal to 25 full days) a year of paid time off
- 96 hours of sick leave a year (prorated for part-time employees)
- Commuter subsidies
- Tuition reimbursement
- Access to group life insurance, disability insurance and other supplemental benefits
- Annual Raises
- Employee discounts to local and major businesses
- Growth/Development Opportunities
We want you, apply and work with us today! https://www.ohsu.edu/
This position is in the Utilities Maintenance Department and serves to provide inspection, testing, and maintenance for all fire and fire sprinkler systems on the OHSU campus. Including but not limited to sprinkler systems, fire smoke dampers, fire dampers, smoke dampers, portable fire extinguishers, and other such installed "fire" systems. This position is responsible for all periodic testing and documentation necessary to maintain compliance with al/ regulatory agencies and authorities having jurisdiction, and for maintaining all systems in a fully operational state. The work will be performed in OHSU owned and designated leased buildings both on and off the Marquam Hill campus. This position works as a part of a functional team within the department of Facilities.
Function/Duties of Position
- Performs routine inspections and prescribed tests of fire systems and components of that system including but not limited to sprinkler systems, fire smoke dampers, fire dampers, smoke dampers, portable fire extinguishers, and other such installed "fire" systems as required by various agencies and authorities having jurisdiction. Schedules and conducts testing to meet all code compliance. Maintains documentation of test results adequate to demonstrate complete compliance with all applicable codes and regulations. Develops reports on system test results and assists coordinator in determining the reliability of these systems.
- Inspects campus' buildings, including hospitals, clinics, labs, and research facilities in cooperation with Environmental Health and Safety, the Fire Marshall, and other personnel as required.
- Collaborates with OHSU stakeholders to discuss life safety strategies, polities, and inspections, and provides information on inspections and tests to the Fire Marshall or other agencies as required.
- Researches and reviews applicable codes and standards, creates procedures to ensure that testing and inspection meets code requirements.
- Diagnoses malfunctions, and provides timely repairs on campus fire systems and associated components. Troubleshoots to component level and makes adjustments or repairs to equipment when possible. Defines jobs that require assistance from other skilled or journey level tradespeople, and forwards requests for assistance through coordinator. Advises coordinator if major repair is required, submits purchase requests through Facilities Admin Team and contacts qualified vendor or contractor to make repairs through prescribed procedures set by code. Schedules shutdowns of systems and follows standard shutdown procedures to notify department heads and their staff of increased risk. Coordinates with support personnel, bypasses alarm systems. Inspects vendor or contractor work to ensure compliance with applicable code standards on completion of repair or alteration, and informs coordinator of discrepancies.
- Upon approval from coordinator, implements minor system modifications and upgrades. Works with supervisor in writing bid specifications and requesting bid documents for installations, modifications, and upgrades. Monitors contractors as they perform installations, and inspects and tests all new installations to be sure they meet specifications. Maintains and updates as-installed documentation and operation. Coordinates with Design and Construction in building construction and major projects which involve installations, modifications, or upgrade to the building systems. Meets with project managers, contractors, and other personnel during the course of projects to keep abreast of the new installation, attends commissioning and relevant training, and incorporates new systems into the established testing and maintenance program.
- Responds to emergencies such as fire alarms, system leaks, water flows, tripped systems, valve problems, and assists emergency personnel.
- Attends all required meetings and training classes, and successfully completes any proficiency evaluation (verbal or written) which may be required to demonstrate adequate comprehension, and to satisfy requirements of OSHA, DNV, and other agencies upon which OHSU depends for accreditation.
- Accurately completes all paperwork as required (daily labor reports, job plans, etc.) and turns all paperwork in on time.
- Maintains cleanliness and orderliness of immediate work area, and maintains security of personal hand tools, common use tools, supplies, and vehicles.
- Performs emergency duties, or other duties, as assigned by the Utilities Manager.
- Three years experience altering, testing, inspecting, repairing and maintaining fire alarm and suppression systems, and valid driver's license.
- Some positions may require City of Portland Fire Extinguisher Service Permit, National Fire Protection Association Fire Systems, and Fire Alarms Systems Certification.
- Valid driver's license
- Compliance with Code of Conduct, Respect in the workplace and Applicable policies, procedures and agreements related to position, department or OHSU as a whole
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
- Experience working in a hospital environment
- Five years' experience altering, testing, inspecting, repairing and maintaining Simplex fire alarm and suppression systems.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.